Key principles of professional ethics
Askot membership constitutes a commitment to observe the following professional rules of conduct:
- A member of Askot bears moral responsibility for his/her best possible performance in the sense of the association’s statutes. On that account he/she shall prepare for each assignment with due diligence, using documents provided by the event organiser as well as other available sources.
- A member of Askot shall not accept an assignment he/she could not perform in good quality.
- A member of Askot shall not accept assignments at overlapping times.
- A member of Askot shall keep all non-public information obtained during the interpretation in utmost confidentiality. He/she shall never misuse such information.
- A member of Askot shall demand of the event organiser to meet all work-related and technical conditions indispensable for a professional level of interpretation.
- A member of Askot shall not take a commission for mediating an interpreting contract to another member of Askot.
- A member of Askot is free to decline the execution of a contract that would compromise the dignity of the interpreting profession; he/she shall keep solidarity with his/her colleagues.